Thursday, May 31, 2007

 

I'm still fuming

...over the Imus debacle. One can't seriously argue that the marketplace prevailed, because the numbers for WFAN and MSNBC indicate a downward spiral in the respective ratings. Imus was not the problem, but on a tangential note, Bernie McGuirk needed to be reigned in, and had for some time. I'm a free speech nazi, so I know not to "legislate" taste or morality, but he made me squirm enough to turn the radio dial on more than one occasion. A little management from Imus, who was nominally in charge of the program content, would have made this whole thing unnecessary. I notice that certain people have removed links to The Beltway Sewer from their blogs after I expressed total agreement with Jason Whitlock of the Kansas City Star over the duplicitous application of Political Correctness vis a vis Imus vs. "Hip-Hop Culture". This brings me to another very excellent article by Thomas Chatterton Williams in the Washington Post about the disintegration of "Black Culture" in America. I grew up a white kid that didn't really see color. I come with the usual cultural and visceral fears to the table, but in general, I try to live my life on an "even playing field". There are aspects of all cultures I like, and I dislike. I have always, in any culture, deplored the glorification of stupidity for it's own sake. I hated it in rock'n'roll, and I hate it in R'n'B. Guess that makes me an intolerant bigot.

Sorry.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?